POSITION TITLE: Controller
FLSA STATUS: Full Time Position
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
The Orange Catholic Foundation (OCF) is a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation that serves the Catholic community of Orange County, including parishes, schools and ministries. The Foundation raises, manages, grows and grants fund through endowments and various charitable funds according to the donor’s intent.
The Orange Catholic Foundation serves the Roman Catholic community of Orange County through philanthropy and stewarding funds to protect and support ministries which further our beliefs and values in loving service to God.
Orange Catholic Foundation seeks an experienced analytical and visionary Controller to manage finance and accounting functions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, budgeting, endowments, reporting and grants activities. Also, provide information, primarily financial in nature, about all Foundation activities that will assist management, its Board of Directors and other users in making educated economic decisions about the Foundation’s future.
- Managing and overseeing the daily operations of the accounting department
- Preparing and/or reviewing appropriate ledger entries and reconciliations and maintaining the general ledger
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company’s value.
- Respond to Chief Financial Officer as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate the financial needs.
- Oversee the activities of the accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts application, etc; funding service management, which includes weekly funding reports. Quarter and year-end payroll closing including federal and state reports management.
- Oversee the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, core employee expense reports, cash control, core payroll processing and total foundation payroll tax compliance.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Responsible for accurate and timely accounting and financial reporting for OCF, as well as establishing and maintaining a strong system of internal controls. Use of GAAP to ensure precise and competent financial records.
- Assist with the preparation of the budget and prepare the monthly budget-to-variance analysis; also assist with the preparation and management of cash flows
- Assist with the financial audit and management of the auditors
- Assist with the oversight of the Investment accounts, including updating the account activity and distribution of statements
- Establishes operational objectives, and oversees short and long-range forecasts related to both OCF spending and investment performance.
- Prepares and distributes monthly line item budgets to each department manager.
- Ensures compliance with all state and IRS rules and regulations governing nonprofits and private foundations. Remains well-informed of all 501(c)(3) laws and changes affecting nonprofit organizations.
- Assesses, evaluates and provides guidance to improve workflow, decision-making procedures.
- Collaborates with Chief Financial Officer and staff to design and implement methods to measure organizational and management performance against goals.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
- Performance Management
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA license preferred but not required.
- Seven-ten years of hands-on accounting experience.
- Previous work experience in a non-profit organization as Controller, Assistant Controller or comparable position required.
- Required knowledge of accounting principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). FASB116, 117 & 136.
- Proficiency with Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge is desired.
- Excellent Excel skills: knowledgeable in VLOOKUPS function, pivot tables and macros is a plus.
- Must be organized, results oriented, and make decisions independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, be able to work successfully and effectively with the Board of Directors, various committees and all levels with the Foundation and the Diocese of Orange.
- Self-reliant, results oriented, collaborative problem solver, and a good team player.
- Prior experience with Annual, Capital and Endowment Campaigns is a plus.
- The ability to be flexible in a complex and changing business environment.
This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Submit resumes to info@OrangeCatholicFoundation.org